Needless to mention, public speaking is an art — something that’s not everyone’s cup of tea. But, this art can be mastered with practice and some great tips. Whether it is an office presentation, business seminar/conference or any other public meeting, everyone’s eyes are fixed on you. So, you have no choice but to give your best.
The above infographic shows clearly what you should do and not do in public speaking. If you follow these tips, you are sure to shine as a much-sought-after public speaker who delivers engaging content and holds the attention of the audience.
What are the key take-aways?
- First, learn your audience and know their pulse. Your speech should interest the prospective audience.
- Planning your speech is equally important. Make sure the content you prepare engages the audience. Think of possible questions that might arise and have your answers ready.
- Get some interesting stories to share. Anecdotes, jokes, past incidents, etc. will add value to your speech.
- Remember that you should not be stealing anyone’s time. So, start your speech on time and finish it on time.
- Don’t sound or behave too artificial. Being yourself will bring out the best in you.
- Just reading the slides you have prepared makes you a boring speaker. Ensure you have prepared content besides the content in the slides.
- Don’t rush through your points. Explain your content one by one. Sum up your ideas at the end to make the whole thing effective.
- Use a good punch line towards the end to create the needed impact.
Hope this helps!